Tuesday, February 10, 2009

First Semester in the Education Program!

Well, as of November I was admitted into the Winona State University Education Program. This was not the easiest of all tasks, but I feel like I was very qualified, and I was very excited to be admitted. Despite being very exciting, I knew it was going to be a huge commitment.
It all starts with the professional sequence of classes in the education program. As of this semester I am enrolled in Education Planning classes 304 and 311. These classes involve learning how to write the dreaded lesson plan, and learning about child psychology. Its not that these classes aren't necessary, but a lot of repitition occurs throughout the class and its gets a little old. Also, I am enrolled in and Diversity in Education class. This is probably the toughest class I have ever been enrolled in in my 3 years of college. I really enjoy the class, but I am having a hard time connecting the topics we discuss to the educational standards. I will figure it out eventually. My final two clases are Math for elementary school teachers, and Art for the elementary school teacher. Now when you look at the titles of these classes they may sound easy, well at least I did. Well, to say the least, they aren't as easy as they sound!
One aspect of my classes that I truly enjoy is all of the volunteer work that I get to partake in. I am currently taking part of volunteering in St. Charles through Big Brothers Big Sisters, at cathedral elementary here in town tutoring, and at Belleview Community Center with disadvantaged kids. I also have my first teaching practicum starting tomorrow at Cathedral Elementary. All of this volunteer work is a bit overwhelming, but totally going to help me in the long run. I am working on building up that resume!

This has pretty much been an overview of what my blog will consist of. I will share my feelings about the different classes and volunteer experiences that I go through!

HOPE YOU ENJOY!! :)

3 comments:

  1. awesome blog Laura and Welcome to the world of teaching! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education is a must for everyone, only then a person will communicate and face problems easily in all aspects. Plenty of jobs openings are there but it is meant only for the right candidate, its the right time to develop new skills to become one of the right person what the company/organization expects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARE YOU FED UP BY SEARCHING FOR A GOOD COLLEGE AND GOOD EDUCATION? DON’T WASTE YOUR
    VALUABLE TIME, WE PROVIDE YOU DETAILS OF GOOD EDUCATIONAL COLLEGES AND OUR EXPERTS
    WILL GIVE YOU GOOD COUNSELING ABOUT YOUR FUTURE. SO GO AHEAD AND click here

    HAVE A BRIGHT FURTRE.

    THANQ

    ReplyDelete

The Beautiful Winona State University

The Beautiful Winona State University
One of the places I miss the most, WSU. GO WARRIORS!