Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Long day...despite having no class!

Today my day started at 6:30 am just like every other Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I arrived at Cathedral Elementary at about 7:45 so that I could hang out with the kids before their day officially started. I got a chance to talk to most of the kids, which is always a positive thing.

My time in the classroom was really positive today. The first half hour I worked on some correcting for Mrs. Hogenson, but then I actually participate in the classroom!! Mrs. Hogenson had me give each student their individual oral fluency test. Each student came out into the hallway with me and read a passage. The students had the opportunity to read the passage to themselves first, and then I timed them for one minute to see how far they could get, and with how many mistakes. I realized today that the class I work with has a huge gap in reading skills. One student finished the entire passage, and a few only finished the first paragraph. I think it is crazy how much reading levels can vary in one classroom of 14 students! I was very very very happy that I actually got a chance to interact with the students today.

I actually stayed 2 and a half hours to complete the test with all the students. I needed to make up some time from Monday, since they didn't have school anyway. After my classroom time, I had a few hours to kill before I had to head to St. Charles to mentor Maria.

I really did nothing with my down time, when I should have been studying for my test tomorrow. But I will be just fine.

Today in St. Charles was a great time. If you want to know more, check out my other blog. Maria and I really had a fun time today for sure. As of right now, I am trying to study for my Lesson Plan class. Not really sure what the official name of my class is, but that is the name I have given it! haha

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Winona State University

The Beautiful Winona State University
One of the places I miss the most, WSU. GO WARRIORS!