Thursday, December 15, 2011

Main Idea... of Literacy Class

Today we began discussing Main Idea in Literacy Class, so I thought I'd share the main idea of my classes!

The main idea of my class is to get students reading at grade level...

To do so I will:

1. Have my students read silently everyday.

2. Participate in 6-minute solution every class period. This is where students will read the same passage 5 days in a row in one minute increments. They will record how many words they read correctly each day and track their progress. They get to see how reading and rereading things increases fluency! So awesome!

3. Learn and apply the basics (basics meaning: main idea, setting, characters, and conflict.)

4. Take practice comprehension tests.


The main thing I want to know is:

HOW DID THESE STUDENTS GET LEFT BEHIND FOR SO LONG!

Some of my kiddos (6th-8th graders) are reading at 3rd and 4th grade reading levels. How is it that they were passed along from grade to grade with hardly any support! It makes me sad, but I am very happy that I am able to help them! I am teaching them basic things that I have known since elementary school, and many of these concepts are completely new to them! Its kind of nice to see the light bulb go on! :)

I just hope they can apply these skills in their regular ed classrooms and on those dreaded MCA and NWEA tests!

I get to go to a Christmas party tonight, so I am excited!
Hope you all have a
Thrilling Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Winona State University

The Beautiful Winona State University
One of the places I miss the most, WSU. GO WARRIORS!