Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cheers to a New Year and Higher Test Scores!

Wow! I am so tired! I knew sleeping in EVERY single day of break would have it's consequences! ;)

I am happy to be back. Unstructured time does not sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good vacation, and I had a wonderful break, but I do so much better with a routine to follow!

I came into school today knowing exactly what I wanted to cover, and covered it! I got the idea of covering FACT and OPINION from my mom over break, and I came up with the idea of the Fact and Opinion game where the students will work together to determine if statements were facts or opinions. I know it sounds simple, but when I added that competition edge to it, they began to love it! I've stated it before, and I'm sure I will state it again, I work with a tough group of kids who have never enjoyed school... but they actually had fun with this.

It was really cool to see them get into it and help each other out. Even if the game only lasted 15 minutes, it helped them to reinforce their fact and opinion skills! This is something covered heavily on the MCA's, so I was happy to see how well they were doing with it.

We are going to continue working on Fact and Opinion, as well as test taking skills for the next two weeks.

I am starting to get the feeling that many of my students are simply overwhelmed with the standardized testing and start filling in bubbles! I want to show them that they can handle these tests with the skills they are learning from my class!

Despite it being the first day back from break, my kiddos were surprisingly on task today! I was very happy with them!

Cheers to a New Year and Hopes for Higher Test Scores

I keep telling my students:

"PUT ME OUT OF A JOB"

Meaning, if you raise those scores, there will be no need for me!

(what they don't know is I am only here until February, anyways! ;) )

1 comment:

The Beautiful Winona State University

The Beautiful Winona State University
One of the places I miss the most, WSU. GO WARRIORS!